Tuesday, May 29, 2007

On the Road Again

"Just can't wait to get on the road again"...not. I used to HATE that song as a kid. I had nothing against old Willie Nelson, I think it was because my mom and brother used to sing it to annoy me...or maybe it was just their singing in general. Anyway, we are ALL home now after a marathon 2 weeks of travelling to different destinations. I'm surprised Reina even remembers it here. I have several pictures and stories but as I also have a house full of cat hair, dirty laundry and no food, some will have to wait.

Here are some teasers to get those of you who check this site regularly (both of you) through until next time. As you may know, the first leg of our visit was to the retirement community where my mom's parents live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. A 9 hour car trip and Reina was an angel. We actually stayed in an apartment on the property, yes, we vacationed to the old folks home. Ate dinner at 4:30pm and paraded Reina through common rooms like a celebrity with a following of about 20 nice old ladies and 3 old gents. No one asked who we were, just about the baby, we were genetic parsley and Reina the main dish. Not included in these photos are the circa 102 year old Georgina who wouldn't give her true age because "if you tell your age, you'll tell anything" hmmm, wonder what other secrets she's got? Also not included was the cigar smoking former mayor of Cedar Rapids zooming around on his scooter and threatening to kidnap my child (jokingly I think). Also, I overheard a lady at breakfast saying she wondered where she should sit at the community table and the old gent previously mentioned said "how about my lap, Ruth?" yikes.

no road trip would be complete without a visit with this guy


4 generations

the Reina fan club of honorary great-grandmothers, can you pick out the real great-grandma?

Part 2 of the trip was a journey to Texas for Bill's dad and stepmom's 20th wedding anniversary. Reina got to meet another great-grandmother and has now met all of her great grandparents. She also got to spend some time playing with the elusive cousin Ava (not sleeping and no pictures to document it) as well as trying swimming for the first time. I got some long craved for homemade brisket and once again our girl was great on the plane, even better than the trip to Montana.

Reina and Great-Nana K

splashes made her cry, even when she was out of the pool and someone else was splashing...but doesn't she look cute in her bikini? Bill didn't care for her showing so much skin!


No comments: