Sunday, May 4, 2008

When Pigs Fly

Today Bill ran his 4th Marathon, The Cincinnati Flying Pig. He not only finished but nearly matched his personal best time of 4 hours and 8 minutes with an official time of 4:10:06 today!

He was really nervous before this one, hadn't been able to train as much as he would have liked due to busy work schedules, travel, running buddy injuries and a more lackadaisical attitude toward training because of all the aforementioned reasons. He wasn't sure he'd finish, thought he'd definitely be slower, but I guess low expectations sometimes pay off!

Reina and I were able to watch the race from several locations and were lucky enough to have my mom, Julie and brother, Matt join us as a cheering section. We met up with Bill's mom, Gina and step-dad, Michael at the finish. Weather was sunny but cool, perfect for running (so I hear) and it was a great and exhausting day. We are so proud of our Billy!


0750: Me, Reina and Matt in a primo parking space, ready to root.

0825: Bill smiling and happy at mile 10.8


0912: Mile 16 and still smiling


0914: Still about mile 16, still smiling...is he running so fast because all those girls are chasing him? Or is that why he's smiling?!


1011: Mile 22, not smiling but not frowning. Said "I think I'm going to die" with a smirk. Maybe that's when his toenail started to fall off.


1105: Runners corral after the finish. Can you spot Bill? No? We couldn't either.



We did find Mike and Gina though! We all saw him finish together.



Hey, there he is, smiling again! Lucky to run into him. Reina liked his shiny blanket and pink medal.

1205: passed out on the walk back to the car.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was not Evil Bill running but in fact it was his semi-annual go-try at facial hair. He's convinced he's finally achieved a full goatee. Some have dubbed it the go-shouldn't have. He was saving it for his mother to see in person but she had to leave before we found him at the finish. I plan to arrange for them to meet up soon so those crazy whiskers can go back into hibernation. Otherwise, still proud of his other accomplishment today. He frequently says he wants me to run one with him someday. I'll likely refer to the title of this post.

No comments: