Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey, Touchdowns and Tough Luck

Hopefully everyone had a nice and plentiful Thanksgiving. I'll tell you right now, I have no photos from the actual day, but hopefully the rest will make up for that. Now that it is December, I'm trying to get myself organized doing the Christmas shopping and decorating, not to mention figuring something out for a certain little girl who is about to turn two-years-old!

So far, so good. Our cards arrived and Bill says he plans to write his annual letter to fill everyone in on the past year's activities. Our indoor decorations are up, sans tree, which we will hopefully get tonight when Bill gets home from work. I've been doing almost all my shopping online (making sure to utilize the free shipping as much as possible). Santa drives a big brown truck, not a sleigh, right? We've got our family get-together dates squared away and things are falling into place to celebrate the holidays rather effortlessly. Hmmm. I sense the potential for a snag. Maybe it is the same feeling of impending doom heart attack patients get, the feeling that something might. not. be. right.

Perhaps our flights will get horribly screwed up to/from Texas. Perhaps I'll shop online to the point where I spend Reina's entire inheritance. Perhaps someone will suffer some bodily injury making it difficult for them to walk without pain. Perhaps I am being melodramatic. Oh wait, someone DID suffer a bodily injury! Here's the scoop.

While enjoying a lovely sunny and warm Thanksgiving day down in the hollers of Kentucky with Bill's mom's family, Bill and the rest of that spry bunch went outside to play some non-tackle, non-running football. Basically, stand around and throw the ball while everyone else tries to intercept. Somehow, my marathon-running, super-fit, body-of-an-18-year-old husband got tangled up in his own feet and ended up breaking a bone in one of them. Yes, Bill has finally broken a bone, only took him 31+ years to do it! And did he sit out the rest of the game? Noooo. Should he really be using a cast shoe and crutches? Yeeessss. Is he? Nope.

Apparently, the break, although dramatic on xray, requires little intervention. He can bear weight and walk without crutches, but it can be pretty painful. And while I am sympathetic to his injury and pain, I'm glad it isn't worse. Hopefully this is our biggest snafu of the season. The outside lights aren't up yet, and as neither of us is getting on the roof this year, they might suck a little. Tough luck. Reina has also been attentive to Daddy's boo boo. Kissing his foot (ick) and showing great concern regarding his single "boo boo shoe" or cast boot.

The rest of this past week was great, if busy. Eric H. and his daughter Emma were in town, Melissa was greatly missed. Emma only has a couple of months on Reina and came over to play a few times. The girls really had fun together, and even ate better due to the competition! Bill attended "the worst football game in recent memory" on Sunday with his cousin, in the rain, with a broken foot. We enjoyed a couple of nice evenings with Brian and Jamie, as well as Reina's favorites, John and Natalie and their great dane, Max. Max and Hermes are now engaged.

Speaking of Hermes, we had some sad news from out at Gina and Mike's farm. Poor Sparkle, Hermes' mother, lost a fight with some large toothed creature. Apparently the culprit is the beaver that lives in their pond. Revenge for Sparkle's gruesome death is inevitable, and somebody's going to have to pay. No word on how well Katie and Austin are taking the news. I was pretty sad, however. At least Hermes' two sisters (Chewy and Bear Noel) and step dad (Bubba) are still around.

On a lighter note, enjoy these pictures of our little clown. She loves the camera, but only if not in a studio, apparently. Her latest birthday/Christmas card photo session ended just short of disaster. We did walk away with one OK pose, but it doesn't truly capture her personality. Oh well, she's gotta act two sooner or later, although she's been practicing for a long time!

Ready for her own wheels at Red Robin

hamming it up on the basement "playground"


Reina and Emma LOVING apples and milk


Eric, Emma and Reina. You can't tell by their faces, but they're actually watching Sleeping Beauty, not something weird or scary.


Please, no "Girls Gone Wild" references. Bad enough she likes to show her tummy AND wear bead necklaces.


Our Happy Big Girl






4 comments:

Lauren Knight said...

Oh, no! Poor Billy! Hope you are feeling better soon. And don't worry about the Christmas lights. Now you don't have to take them down come January.

Milo can't wait to see your bright-eyed girl. He likes to look at pictures of her and say "baby." My how the roles have reversed. I wonder if he realizes he is the baby?

Giselle said...

Thank you for the pictures of Emma...I haven't seen her since last year's holiday cards. She's beautiful! Was Eric doing her hair? If so, I am so impressed. When Jeff is left alone with Lily, she always looks like a dirty neglected orphan in about 2 seconds. That hair just baffles him.

Sorry to hear about Bill. I hope your travels go well this December.

Annie said...

Yes, Emma is beautiful, but no, Eric didn't do her hair. I did because both she and Reina had their hair in their faces! Bill doesn't do hair either.

Fuller/Goodfriend said...

We really did have a great time hanging out with you guys! Makes me sad there is no ski trip this year...

FYI - on our entirely too long of a trip home on Sunday, Brian and I could not quit talking about how sweet and cute Reina is - we are very excited to meet Speck!!!